Monday, December 26, 2011

MAC Eye Shadows


Every time I ask John if we can go to the MAC store, he gets so excited. And then I realize he thinks I'm referring to the Apple store to look at Mac computers. So I often have to say, "No, MAC cosmetics." And then a sweeping look of disappointment crosses over John's face.

Valerie has been a faithful customer of MAC Cosmetics for years, so I was inspired by her to start using their products. I currently only use their eye shadows and brushes, which I think are some of the best out there. They have a wide range of colors and they sell customizable palettes. My Mom got me the 3x5 palette, and I've been slowly filling it up with eye shadow pans over the past year (my goal was to buy one new eye shadow a month). Below are the colors that I have, along with a short description for each one.

MAC 3x5 Palette

First row:
1. Shroom - I bought this color because it was voted one of the best eyeshadow colors by Glamour magazine readers. It's a great color to use as a base or to highlight the inner corners of your eyes or your brow bone. I often use this when blending with browns or grays.

2. All That Glitters - a nice golden, peachy color.

3. Bronze - I wanted to buy this color mainly because I thought it was pretty close to Urban Decay's Smog, which is what one of my favorite youtube make-up artists uses in her videos (I didn't want to buy the entire Urban Decay Naked Palette and quite honestly, I didn't want to switch brands - I wanted to stick strictly to MAC). To be honest with you, this color is a bit strong on me. I only use the absolute tiniest amount because it's so pigmented - trust me, a little bit goes a long way. I like to use this when recreating Holly Ann Aeree's "easy go to smokey eye for glasses".

4. Brown Down - a nice matte brown that can be used to blend neutral colors in the outer corners of your eyes.


5. Pink Freeze - a frosty pink that can be a bit too frosty and "tween" looking if you're not careful. Blend it with some darker browns or taupes for a more "grown-up" look.




Second Row:
6. White Frost - pretty much what it sounds like. Again, good for highlighting, just like Shroom.
7. Filament - this is supposed to be a silvery, sparkly color, although to be honest, it's not very pigmented so I always feel like I have to pack on a ton for it to even show up. I don't use it that often, but when I do I use it for blending out and softening darker colors. Also, the little bits of glitter tend to flake off, which I don't like.

8. Satin Taupe - pretty much what it sound like again. I like using this to blend out lighter colors, such as Shroom and Pink Freeze, towards the outer corners of my eyes.
9. Black Tied - a black color with tiny bits of glitter. Good for creating a smokey eye.
10. Parfait Amour - I originally bought this color because I was trying to recreate kuuipo1207's purple smokey eye look. She actually used MAC's Mi' Lady mineralized shadow, but suggested using MAC's violet pigment, which comes in a little jar. I wanted to only buy refill pans to fill up my palette, so I chose this purple color thinking it most closely resembled the violet pigment. Honestly, I don't think it's a bright or pretty enough purple. I actually think it looks quite dull on my skin tone. Maybe that's just me, but I don't plan on refilling this color once I'm done with it (if I ever even finish it - I don't use it that often).


Third Row:
11. Juxt - this is a bright, pretty green. I love this color. It's one of the first ones I bought. Even though it's green, it's actually quite versatile and can be use to blend a wide variety of colors. Sometimes I used it with the White Frost for a minty fresh look, or Humid for a nice neutral green-toned look.
12. Sumptuous Olive - a darker green color. Good for blending with Juxt, although I notice that if I blend too much, it starts to have a really shiny metal look to it, which I'm not too fond off. It doesn't seem like it, but it's very pigmented so again, a little goes a long way.
13. Humid - a dark forest green.
14. Steamy - a pretty turquoise color that I love blending with White Frost for a nice summery/spring look.
15. Deep Truth - a dark blue which is also a good alternative to Black Tied if you're looking for a dark blending color. I've used this with White Frost and Filament for a different take on the smokey eye.









All of these refill pans are $11.50 each and available at www.maccosmetics.com

No comments: