Saturday, July 26, 2014

Anthro Day Review: Amory Tank, Marais Anorak, Salinas Pencil Skirt, Pilcro Hyphen Lace Chinos, and AG Stevie Angle High-Rise Jeans


I stopped by Anthropologie today for their Anthro Day sale, which gives members 15% off everything for today only. I wanted to try out a few things on my wish list, as well as check out whatever goodies I could find in the sale section. Since I had my son with me today, they put me in the largest fitting room, which had a table set up inside (see photo above). I thought it was a different, but cute addition. Now onto the reviews!

For reference, I am 5'3", 110 pounds, 32A bust, typically a size XS in tops, 0-2 in dresses, 25-26 in jeans.

$68
Size 2
5/5
This tank was at the top of my wish list, so I was very excited to try it on today. Unfortunately, the smallest size available was a size 2. It fits fine in the bodice, but the armholes were a bit larger and dipped lower than what I prefer (see third photo above), so my usual size 0 would've fit me better. It's made of rayon, which feels very soft and cool against the skin. It's very comfortable, flowy, and flares out a bit, making this an easy top to throw over jeans and conceal any bulges you may want to hide. There's black piping along the modest neckline, which has a slight V in the center. There's also a pleated bib on the front, which adds some additional interest to the already fun eyeglasses print. The background is an off-white cream color, and the eyeglasses are black and come in different shapes, and continues to the back. I felt it was opaque enough that you wouldn't have to layer another tank underneath, and you could get away with just wearing a nude-colored bra. This is a great tank to wear with jeans or shorts, and is work appropriate when worn with a cardigan and pencil skirt. 

$68
Size 0
4/5
Since they did not have the black & white version in my size, I decided to try the red version in a size 0 just to compare. There's really not much difference in the bodice, but the armholes are smaller, which I like. The background is a maroon color with bright coral lips. I like this print also, but I like the eyeglasses print better. Will wait for this one to go on sale first.

$148
Size XS
3/5
I'd been wanting an army green anorak for awhile, and I'm so sad I missed out on Camouflaged Lace Anorak as I thought that was the perfect combination of tough and girly. So I decided to try on this one to see if I'd like it. First of all, this version has eyelet details instead, which I don't like quite as much as the lace details (although they are still cute!) Also, this army green is a bit more yellowish, and I prefer something that's more of a darker green. One thing I do like about this jacket better than the Camouflaged Lace Anorak is that it does not have a hood. I pretty much never use the hoods of jackets anyway, and sometimes I think they take away from the overall look. The material felt thick and substantial. My usual size XS felt perfect on, and the shoulders and sleeves felt very comfortable and not constricting at all. 

$98
Size 0
5/5
I love this skirt so much! The print is so pretty and I have nothing like it. It has an orange background that's not too bright, with a maroon-white-and-black-colored floral print.  The size 0 felt perfect on. It sits a little above my belly button and does not pinch at the waist. The skirt fell to my knees, which makes it perfect to wear to work. It was fitted and laid perfectly, showing no bumps, bulges, or panty lines, which means I wouldn't have to wear Spanx with this skirt (a plus!) I can see so many styling options with this skirt, and even paired it with the Amory Tank to see how the prints would work together (see third photo above). And even though I don't usually pair different patterns together, I personally don't think it looks bad at all! It's made of cotton and spandex, and is machine washable.

 $98
Size 25
3/5
I thought I would love these pants. They looked great on the table, and I love the light mint color and interesting lace details on the bottom. I don't really care much for the contrasting waistline, but I don't mind it either. The cotton felt very soft and light weight. My usual size 25 felt comfortable everywhere, but felt like they could stretch a bit over time. I wish the rise were a bit higher - these fit more like low rise pants, sitting a good two inches below my belly button. I felt like with the lower rise and possibility of stretching that I'd keep hiking these up, which is annoying. And although the online model shot looks great with the rolled hems, I just thought on me it looked sloppy, meaning I would have to pay extra to get these tailored. 

$188
Size 25
5/5
Ok, first of all, these pants are AWESOME! The high rise was perfect, sitting right at my belly button, therefore concealing any stomach pooch and holding everything in nicely. There were no stretched horizontal lines in the front or back - everything just looked super smooth, like these jeans were Spanx. I usually prefer a darker rinse, but I think this medium blue is quite versatile, and I don't currently own any color like it. And the whiskering along the front adds just the right touch of detail without looking too faded or trendy. Also, the length is PERFECT! No hemming required, which is a miracle for someone who's 5'3" and always has to get pants tailored. The size 25s fit, but JUST so, meaning if I gained even a pound, I feel like these wouldn't fit me anymore. I'm a bit torn as I know Stevies tend to stretch a bit, but I don't like the idea of having to break in my jeans first before they're comfortable. I think the size 26s will feel better, but my store didn't have them for me to try on, so I'll just have to wait and write an updated review later.

No comments: