Monday, April 6, 2015

New Orla Kiely Eyeglasses at Costco

I went to Costco this weekend to check out their selection of Orla Kiely sunglasses, and I was delighted to find not only two styles available, but also a new collection of eyeglass frames. I am still kicking myself for not picking up a pair last summer, so I was so happy to see these! However, I do not think they look as good as last year's collection (at least not on me), but there are still some cute options available. Maybe this means Costco will continue to carry Orla Kiely and new styles will debut every year!

Check out the current styles below. Each pair is $99.99.




This pair is probably the closest I'll get to my favorite pair from last summer. I do love the Ditsy printed sides along with the tiny Multi Stem, but I'm not sure how I feel about the front part of the frames, which is a clear pinkish-brown color. I wish it was more of a solid brown frame to make it more classic. Then again, I do like the idea of having a funky and quirky pair of eyeglasses to swap with my more simpler Prada frames on those days where I just feel like having a more fun look.




I'm not sure if I like these frames better than the previous pair. They appear to have the same shape, but this pair has a gradient effect, starting with a very deep brown up top and then fading to clear. I like the Crosshatch sides, but again I just wish the front were a single opaque color.


I didn't take any pictures of the sides of these frames because there was no design or logo whatsoever. Quite disappointing in my opinion. The only pattern can be seen on the inside of the frames, which you can just see in the first photo above. I do like the slight cat-eye shape, but these were just too plain and did not look enough like an Orla Kiely piece for me.



We have another simple frame here, except this one does have an Orla Kiely logo on the side. Again, this one has no pattern except for the Ditsy print inside the frames. If I'm going to purchase a pair of Orla Kiely eyeglasses, I'd want there to be at least some visible pattern because that's what we all love about Orla Kiely! I think these look just slightly thicker than the first two frames, but I still like the look - just wish the Disty print were on the outer sides instead of the inner sides.

So far, it doesn't look like any of these are a hit for me. Will I be kicking myself again for not picking up a pair? I guess we'll see. I simply just don't need a pair of eyeglasses right now, and none of these particularly wowed me or looked all that flattering on me, so I think I'll sit this collection out. Maybe in a few months, a new set will come along that'll frame my face better and have just the right balance of classic simplicity and a fun pattern.

I also took a few pictures of some sunglasses that were available, so check back tomorrow for that post :)

3 comments:

robocon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Hi Stephanie, I got the black pair that you've got on in the last photos! yeah shame about the arms, but when you take them off and fold them up you can see the print quite nicely. I liked the pink ones too but they didn't suit me. My costco didn't have the brown scribble ones or those dark metal ones, but they had a pair with green 3D flowers and a pair with gold half-metal frames (frame on top only). - Tracy

iloveorlakiely said...

Hi Tracy! That's true - I'd just like to be able to show off the pattern even while I'm wearing them :) I'm so interested in how the other ones looked - maybe I'll check my Costco again to see if they got any new ones in. You should post some pics on Instagram :)