Monday, January 2, 2012

Dining Chairs: The Look For Less

About a week ago, John and I purchased a new dining table and bench from Pottery Barn, pictured here on the left. But at almost $300 a piece, we decided not to buy the matching chairs and look elsewhere for a better deal. I've been shopping around online and reluctantly reverted to the old standby - Ikea. Don't get me wrong - I love Ikea. It's just that we're trying to upgrade from their inexpensive particle board to more sturdy hardwood furniture that will last us a long time. Anyway, I found some chairs that were very comparable to the Pottery Barn dining chairs and for less than third the price.

Aaron Side Chair by Pottery Barn
$229
www.potterybarn.com

Ingolf Side Chair by Ikea
$59.99
www.ikea.com

Aaron Armchair by Pottery Barn
$299
www.potterybarn.com

Ingolf Armchair by Ikea
$69.99
www.ikea.com

They look very similar in design, right? The color is a little off, but I think it'll be fine. We want to get two side chairs to put across from the bench and two arm chairs to put on each end and we could get all that at Ikea for the price of one armchair at Pottery Barn. A no-brainer, right? John and I would probably also finish off these chairs with some seat cushions for added comfort. 


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you waited to purchase the matching chairs. Not sure how you feel with mismatched stuff, if they complement each other & work together, it's OK. If not, you end up with a set of "hodge podge".

iloveorlakiely said...

Yeah, I'm glad they went to 40% off right before the store closed. I'm just hoping the armchairs at the other Pottery Barn will eventually go on sale at their next floor model sale.