Thursday, August 27, 2015

Orla Kiely AW15 Mainline: Sixties Stem in Spruce and Black

This season's Sixties Stem Punched leather collection features the colorways Spruce and Black, the former being a gorgeous shade of green. I'd been waiting for Orla Kiely to release another set of green leather bags, and I'm so happy this collection is finally here. The Sixties Stem is such a great classic print, and Orla Kiely has added a few new styles to keep the collection fresh. However, there are a few elements from this line that I don't particularly like. For example, all the handbags are unlined, which you can see in the photo below.

I personally like the Jacquard Stem lining that's included in most of Orla Kiely's pieces because I think it adds a bit of structure to the bag and it's just a nice addition to help protect the leather.

Another thing to note - most of the handbags include a leather top handle, by why oh why did Orla Kiely choose cotton webbing for the shoulder straps?! 

Upon first seeing this collection, I thought how beautiful and luxurious these bags were, especially with their darker hues and rich leather. But then upon closer inspection, I found that the shoulder straps were just cotton webbing and I felt it made the overall look seem...cheaper. And I hate to say that about this otherwise beautiful collection, but just think how much nicer these bags would look with a leather shoulder strap.

Other than these two quibbles, I still think this collection looks great and the Spruce colorway is such a beautiful shade that will look fabulous in the fall/winter months ahead. What do you think of this collection? Do you like the changes that have been made?

Sixties Stem Punched Burdock Bag
£389
Let's start with one of the newer styles - the Burdock Bag, which to me combines the look of the Willow Bag and the Juniper Bag. There are two front pockets and the usual interior pocket with attached key ring.

Sixties Stem Punched Caraway Bag
£385
Another new style is the Caraway Bag, which looks reminiscent of the Peggy Bag. This is probably my favorite from the collection because I think I could easily switch out the cotton straps for some leather ones. Also, the leather top handles look large enough to possible carry over the shoulder, so I might just get rid of the cotton straps altogether and just wear it as a shoulder bag (although I do love the option of wearing it as a crossbody).

Sixties Stem Punched Mini Bay Backpack
£325
Another new style that debuted this season is the Mini Bay Backpack (see the Spot Square version here). I'm happy to see that all straps are made of leather on this bag, and they are also adjustable. I'm curious if they could be attached together to make one shoulder strap so you could have the option of wearing it as a crossbody bag as well. If so, then this bag is definitely at the top of my wish list!

Sixties Stem Punched Ivy Bag
£385

Sixties Stem Punched Juniper Bag
£389
The second picture is what the bag looks like unfolded. I have the Buttercup Stem Printed Nylon Foldover Tote (outfit here), and sometimes I do fold it over and wear it as a shoulder bag, but other times I unfold it and just carry it by the top handles. It's nice that this Juniper bag also has those options.


Sixties Stem Punched Poppy Bag
£165

Sixties Stem Punched Big Zip Wallet
£145

No comments: