Sunday, September 27, 2015

Orla Kiely: Math Inspired


When I opened up my email today, I was delighted to find this email from Orla Kiely announcing its latest design inspiration, which uses elements from math and specifically geometry. If you've been following this blog for awhile, you'll probably know why this makes me so happy. If not, let me take a moment to tell you a little bit about myself. I have been a high school math teacher for the last nine years. I have taught Algebra I, Algebra II, and Geometry during this time, but Geometry is what I've been teaching mostly for the last five years, and it's where my passion is. It's my absolute favorite subject to teach because I feel I can be really creative in my approach to teaching and it's always fun to incorporate various art projects that apply geometry. And Orla Kiely's AW15 collection is a great example of math used in real life. The grid-printed sweaters, dresses, and purses are meant to mimic graph paper, while the Spot Square, Spot Square Triangle, and Square Spot Flower printed bags and clothing make use of geometric shapes.

I LOVE Orla Kiely even more for incorporating math into her designs :)

No comments: